Monday, July 4, 2016

Chronicles: The Meteor & Rock + Roll Adventures

It's been months since I've been to this space. The lack of love shown to this blog hasn't stemmed from disinterest, but was simply the victim of Priorities. So instead of apologizing for the shortage of content, I thought I'd just tell you what I've been up to.

So many of you moon bunnies reached out to me with concern, worried that I had been struck by a meteor...and I was in a way.

In January, the intention was set that this would be the Year of The Queen, the Year of Adventure, the Year of Pushing the Envelope. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant, but I had the desire for intensity.

Don't ever be careful what you wish for. 
Wish for that shit Hard and Fast. 

With the incredible support and creative imput of my band/tribe, we wrote a new record. I know, I know, that sounds terribly anticlimactic. But it was the meteor I had dreamed of. It is perhaps the most naked piece of work I've ever written. Despite it only being four songs long, it traversed a LOT of soulscape for me.

The impact was amplified by the fact we wanted to write, rehearse, record and put it out into the world in less than 3 months on our own. (If any of you kittens have ever had to deal with print production, you'll know that's a bit batty.)





This project was also the first time I had been at the helm and had my claws in EVERY step of the process-- from the napkin scribble genesis of the lyric, to the mixing, to choosing the the cellophane wrap on the final product. When you are your own producer, you don't have the luxury of hoping someone else will fix it or finish it. It's up to you. It's really scary.

You're putting too much of yourself Out There...Be careful...you are not qualified...you don't know what you're doing...it's too much it's too much it's too much...

Get bent, Brain. We have work to do.

All of those colors and hours and fragmented ideas and gas station burritos and feedback and anxieties about fucking it up and contributions of the people you trust the most and notes in your journal that make NO sense and confidence meltdowns FINALLY crystallize...

Finally Crystallize.

There is nothing in the Universe like holding a physical copy of your record. Nothing.





While our project wriggled out of the chrysalis and began drying it's soggy wings, the Bunny and I adventured in the mountains near Denver, CO and later strapped on our boots to wander around in the desert of New Mexico. It has been a lifelong dream to go to the desert, and She did not disappoint--

Wet secrets of caves, the switchback mountains, impossible rusty rocks, moon sands, slippery healing hot springs, thorny flowering jewels. We were fed. We'll be back again soon. That's a promise.

Upon our return, the pedal met the METAL and we began the work of promoting the record and working through the tidal wave of festival gigs that summer brings.

Image Courtesy of Mike Collins





This is our Season-- the extroverted, energetic, Yin part of the year. As fall approaches we'll turn inward again, return to our basement practice space (affectionately known as Spider Island for reasons you can probably imagine...) and begin gestating a new batch of work, playing with a new set of ideas.

With that introverted time will come more regular content here: more videos, more blogs, more letters answered, hopefully some download-able goodies and tools for you.

 I never cease to be amazed by your outpouring of support and patience because--

I have no idea what I'm doing. 

I'm not sure what I'm meant to do here. But I'm working it out. Thank you.

It is my most sincere hope that this season has been good to you, Moon Babies.
May you find pleasure and adventure where ever you are in the world.

Keep it Weird, Witchez.
All my Love,





8 comments:

  1. Firstly, your new record is AMAZING!~ I listen to it all the time. At least one song makes it on to every playlist I make! My favorite is Remember :) Secondly, we have "badlands" here in Alberta and they are such a cool place so I can only imagine that the desert is amazing. Lastly, thanks for sharing your journey with us. Thanks for sharing anything with us! I really look forward to your presence in any form and I'm so glad you're making your way back on here. Take care, Molly!~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you even HAD music, this is all fantastic oh my gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Molly, The song remembers has hints of a Joan Jett, Patti Smyth, Pat Benatar. You sound amazing girl. I am digging Remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so awesome!!!! but how can i listen to your music? <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly, you are an inspiration in the way you seize life and go for it. Pretending to be fearless makes it so. Love this post

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I just downloaded the Album, and Valkyrie has me almost in tears with all of my little hairs standing on end. Such and amazing and powerful song. You rock my socks Molly. Never change!

    ReplyDelete