Sunday, September 20, 2015

Action as Offering: Witches, Service & Community

Whilst sprucing up my dark moon (goddess) altar, dusting away stale incense ash, fidgeting with the particular placement of statuettes and examining the oddly rubbery bruised skin of a desiccated apple I had placed weeks ago in offering to Hel, I thought to myself...

Does She really want another apple?



What if instead of trinkets and stale cups of beer I gave energy through acts of service--practical acts of Love-- as sacred offerings? What if I could show my community, my neighborhood, my city, what a witch really is through action?

What if I developed my relationship to Life, The Universe and Everything by moving through the world modeling and channeling that goddess behavior instead of leaving it on the meditation mat or the privacy of my altar?  


The rest of the week I began to reflect on the ideas about living in integrity as a witch, of being of service to the community through witchery and the possibilities of Action as Offering.

I decided that while I find the tableau of rotting fruit quite poetic, SHE has had her fill for the time being. 

SHE wants me to hit the pavement. 





Perhaps committing to extensive volunteering isn't a viable option for you at the moment, but that doesn't mean we can't make make a magickal impact.

If you are feeling called to express your witchy nature positively in your community or commit actions of offering, here are a few easy, realistic and inexpensive ways you can offer meaningful magick: 

Adopt an animal sacred to your deity or ancestors (You can also make small donations to shelters even if you aren't adopting animals.)

Start a compost heap or contribute to a community heap. (Great for dark goddess lovers.)

Carry a plastic bag and pick up litter on your regular walks in honor of the Land.

 Decide to be a custodian to a public space that might be sacred or special to you.

Bomb public spaces with Art.

Start a container vegetable garden and share the wealth.

Call your local food bank and see what's in demand--they need help ALL year.
  
Donate a piece of art to a hospital or nursing home. 

Call your local nursing home and see how you can best be of assistance.

Shelters are often in need of basic items like tampons and combs.

Donate books and magazines to a hospital.

Tend to a cemetery by sweeping and replacing flowers.

Don't assume that you don't have time to volunteer! Many organizations will gladly help you find something you want to do--even if it's only once!  (Craigslist has opportunities available in your area. Check out the "volunteers" tab on the community menu.)

Magick works through you and IS you. 


Are acts of service part of your practice? Do you use Action as Offering?

Much Love, Moon babies...

  





 

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful point! And what inspired ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you found something of value here. :) And thank you for taking time to visit! Many Blessings!~*

      Delete