Wednesday, February 12, 2014

V Day Matters: TRY NOT TO DIE


February 14th.

July 12th. 

December 4th. 

Just days. Dates. One very much like the other. So why do we phreak out about February 14th? Why do we loose our minds agonizing over blowing our romantic wad, wallowing in shame or worse, oozing our displeasure like a card carrying member of the Breakfast Club?

 It's a phenomenon: we don't do this with other dates on the calendar.

"FUCK PRESIDENTS DAY!" 

"I didn't receive edible underwear for Labor Day. I have failed in this life. Preheat the oven."

Said no one ever.






































Please don't nuke your self worth over candy, Muffins. You're too smart for that.

Well, it's different when you have someone. That might be true. My partner and I have been a team for a decade. We don't acknowledge Valentines Day. We don't buy Christmas presents.We don't splurge on birthday gifts.

We never have. It's not because we don't care for each other or sport a snotty attitude about holidays. We're just responsible for our own happiness and acquisition of stuff.

Giving myself a headache attempting to send telepathic messages to my partner seems like an awfully ineffective way to manifest some carnations.

I know where to find them. If I want flowers, I'm going to buy myself flowers. And I do. Often.

That, and mind control takes practice and I'm pretty lazy. But I digress...

"SURVIVING VALENTINES DAY" literature makes me sigh, as if the tradition is to don riot gear and dodge waves of shrapnel and mustard gas.

"THEY ARE PUBLICLY EXECUTING SINGLES IN THE STREETS!"

We don't need to "survive" shit.

Don't put yourself through that. You don't have to. 
I mean, unless you're into that kind of thing.






































Imagine for a moment, what your life would be like if your happiness depended entirely on the actions of other people.  Now stop imagining it, because THAT'S INSANE. 

 Let's be honest with our gummy bear hearts for a minute: If  the thought of a day- that is no more or less a holiday than the Super Bowl or Groundhogs Day- drives you to drink alone, the only one perpetuating that personal hell is you.

And if seeing other humans be happy is your kryptonite--you can blame your Ex or Hallmark. But that's on you too, pumpkin. 

You can choose to participate or not. You can choose to go to dinner or not. You can choose to buy flowers or not. You can choose to go to a movie alone or not. You can choose have fun or be upset.

You can choose to do nothing. You can choose anything you want. 

You're a smart and beautiful creature. Don't give your Power away. Not for a pharmacy teddy bear.

Let's take a deep breath, hug a little and get a grip.

Show yourself the Respect you deserve. 

Love and Be Loved--
Every Day Any Way You Want It. 


XO






6 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I do love groundhog's day though....its my birthday! I also buy myself flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I buy myself flowers occasionally also, and I certainly don't need any more candy! My valentine's day happens when I wake up on any given day and my hubby has gotten the coffee ready to go so all I have to do is push a button! Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're awesome! That is the best piece about vday that I've read in a long long time. Thanks for this!
    Have a great day!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. Something from this post inspired a piece of my post that I'll be launching tonight for The Body Project. :) You rock, Miss Molly. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is AWESOMENESS!! So well said. All of it. You have such a magic power with words, my friend. XO

    ReplyDelete