Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Dirty Dancing

This may be my favorite prompt of All Time. "Wishcasting Wednesday" was the first blogging group I ever participated in-- it's how I came to know my online tribe, for whom I am endlessly grateful.

The rules are quite simple.

1) Your Thoughts are Things and just as much a part of Nature as rocks or birds or tides. 

2) Cool things are possible when we get our thoughts together for a party. 

Alright, let's Wish.







































This wish comes with a little back story. A few weeks ago, I not-so-cryptically posted about trying something I'd never done before. I'm a burlesque fan girl: I love to read about it, gather images and travel the country to see the best. These performers honor a great tradition, own their bodies and are truly committed to their art.

While sitting on a train a few weeks ago, I came across an audition call for a new cabaret. I have always wanted to attempt burlesque but was just too chicken shit: conscious of my body, worried about my lack of grace, concerned about my butt.  And afraid. Mostly afraid. And the butt thing.

A little voice said, It's a new year, Lady. Let's get weird.

So I auditioned. And I bombed. And not the "you're your own worst critic" bombing of a perfectionist-- but actually bombed. I turned into a sweat sock in the waiting room, warbled through my song, got my tutu stuck in my nose ring and fudged the end of my act. It was brutal.

I was not sexy. I was Doomed. Utter doom.

And then I recieved the call that I had been cast. Holy shit.

I'll be appearing as Veruca Salt in Charlie's Chocolate Cabaret.

The Universe rewards leaps of insanity.

My wish is that this new opportunity--my personal final frontier--will help me hone my stage craft. I wish for this to be a positive learning experience and to meet other performers who are proud of their freak flags and wear their art on their sleeves. I wish to be fearless!


What do you wish for, kittens? Wish big. Wish wide.


Don't tell my Grandma,





2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! That is pretty freaking AMAZING, Molly!! Well heck, you see? It was just meant to be! Congratulations!! And, as you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story. I am all for being Fearless, this is an awesome wish. As you wish for yourself I also wish for you.

    ReplyDelete